I have been fawned over, given unconditional love and adoration, and in many ways just plain spoiled for a lot of years. The givers of this affection have sometimes been tall, short, fat, skinny, male, female, hyper and just plain lazy. I must admit, I once even had two such relationships at the same time. No, I’m not a man of low repute… I’m a dog lover. No matter the breed, if treated properly, dogs are the most unselfish, affectionate and protective creatures on four legs.
When I was eleven, my dad was a raw fur dealer and we always had three or four coon hounds. One of these hounds was a six year old Red Bone/Black and Tan mix breed. The hounds were not allowed in doors and were kept in dog houses in the back part of our property. Though she was a working dog, I was allowed to claim her as a “pet” in the off season. Every day during the summer I would put Red on a leash and she hauled me around the streets of our town. One day my cousin and I decided to go on an adventure. We got Red and headed out for a long walk on back roads through the outskirts of Dexter. About a mile out of town, to our horror, an enormous German Sheppard came tearing out of an abandoned property strait for us. Red was suddenly transformed from a lovable pet to a raging demon. Though the other dog was half again her size she pulled the leash from my hand and lit into him like a whirlwind. The fight was horrible. I stood frozen in terror, crying and screaming for help. We where far from any human help but Red proved to be all the help we needed. After what seemed like hours, the Sheppard turned tail and fled, Red hot on his heels. When she was satisfied that we were safe she returned to us bleeding and panting. She took the violence meant for us like it was just another day of work. From that day forward my eyes were opened to just how wonderful a dog could be.
Another less dramatic example came ten or so years later. I was staying at my Sisters house in Rockland and ate lobster for the very first time. I discovered the hard way that I was allergic to that tasty, red, sea cockroach. I became violently ill and lay for hours wishing to die. Some friends of my Sister’s were over and had their Chow, Little Man with them. Little Man had almost no use for anyone but his owners. He was friendly enough in a reserved way but there was no doubting he had a clear opinion of where his devotion lay. About two hours into my intestinal nightmare there was a whining and scratching at my bedroom door. Little Man wouldn’t stop until he was allowed into the room. To my surprise he made himself comfortable by my bed and sat watching me intently with understanding eyes. A few hours later when our friends were leaving, Little Man refused to budge. No matter how they pleaded and scolded he stubbornly kept his watch at my bedside. It took two days for me to feel better and during that time Little Man stuck with me like glue. Only the call of nature and some quick water breaks tore him from my presence. I didn’t know until later the seriousness of my condition but evidently this furry sage did. Once I was better he happily left with his real masters but not before an unforgettable bond had been forged.
A few years later, I became the proud owner of an English Bulldogge. Beauregard went everywhere with me. The only time we were apart was when I was at work and this time was nearly torture for him. Beau was the best tempered creature I had ever encountered. My nieces and nephews played with him and ran him breathless. Once, my very young nephew Dexter even decided to take a taste of his curly little tail. I heard a yelp and say Dexter guiltily removing Beau’s tail from his mouth. Rather than retaliate Beau scampered to my protecting arms (and has avoided Dexter ever since). One day when he was still a puppy, I decided to go through a drive-thru car wash forgetting that Beau was sleeping in the back seat. Shortly after the water started and the brushes descended there was a roar from the rear of my car. Beau was in a rage. He threw himself in protective anger at the car window and sunk his little puppy teeth into the door. Too late I realized he thought the brushes were a threat to me, so I scooped him up, trembling and growling, and held him until I could safely exit the car wash. Once the perceived threat had passed, he quit growling and began licking my face and hands until he was satisfied I was o.k. then promptly went back to sleep. I never bothered to fix the door in that old Camry. I often looked at the vivid teeth marks in the door and felt a loving reminder of just how much Beau cared for me. Beau is old and gray now and doesn’t get around very well, but every night at bedtime he painfully climbs the stairs when I go to bed, and dutifully stations himself outside my bedroom door to make sure I am safe through the night.
I’ve owned other pets that were fun and enjoyable. I’ve had a bird, rabbit, gecko and cat but none have even come close to equaling my dogs in love and affection. The only fault I find while this amazing species is that they don’t live forever. Each time I’ve had to part with one of my dogs my heart nearly breaks and I swear I can’t go through it again. Somehow though, the loving memories overcome the pain and another puppy enters my life and provides the love I need. My old friends can never be replaced, but the new one claims a place in my heart all its own. Humans could learn a lot about loyalty from dogs. I sometimes wonder just who after all really is the superior species.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I have five already and am always scheming to get just one more, so you didn't have to go far to convince me. Your examples work fine.
Post a Comment