Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Graf # 2

I wouldn't have considered myself the model High School student. My teen years were absorbed by sports, church, work and Bible quizzing. The only class I've ever failed however, is Western Civilization. In fact, I don't even know if that is the correct name assigned to that dreaded course. All I truly recall, is the sour and unsmiling face of Mr. Ross. It was his swan song, but in my opinion it was about ten years too late. Perhaps I'm prejudiced. The only history I truly enjoyed was the fictional sort, told by the infamous Louis L'Amour. But then again, I didn't like algebra either but I managed to learn it. Each day we were expected to squeeze ourselves into tiny chairs and independently read and digest the dry and boring material in our text books. During these painful hours, Mr. Ross smugly enjoyed the latest thriller, in his comfortable chair, with his feet propped on a barren desk. Before each test, Mr. Ross would condescend to spend two or three minutes asking the rhetorical phrase: Any questions on the material? Of course there wasn't you idiot! All of us were asleep! Immediately following his belated retirement, Mr. Ross entered the world of politics. I don't really know if he was ever elected, but I must confess, he was better suited to waste tax dollars as a politician than as an educator.

3 comments:

johngoldfine said...

Yikes--he had you read the text in class??? While he read thrillers??? There ought to be lawsuits for teacher malpractice.... That's an image, that's a mini-story, and that's what I was hoping and looking for in graf 2.

Kris said...

Bible quizzing? My sisters also were quizzers in church. Which town did you grow up in? If I may ask?

Peter said...

Christina,
I know your Mom and two of your sisters well, and am somewhat acquainted with you. I live in Dexter. Hope you are well.
Peter R.